[esp-r] External convection coefficient

Dimitrios Sfakianakis dimitrios.sfakianakis at strath.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 19:28:02 GMT 2012

Dear all,

Wishing you all a happy new year!

I am trying to model a surface that is in contact with water. As far as I know, the main heat transfer mechanism in this case is convection (forced or natural depending on the state of the water) and the heat exchange between water and the surface depends on the area of the surface, the temperature difference and the convection coefficient (I know that the calculation of the coefficient is tricky and depends on many variables). My question is, is there an in-built facility that allows the user to change the convection coefficient for an external surface? From what I have seen so far, the user can alter the internal convection coefficient of a surface from "Zone composition -> Convection coefficients". I know that superimposing a new convection coefficient won't solve my problem, however I believe it is a good place to start.

Kind regards,

-

Dimitrios Sfakianakis