[esp-r] Status report on ESP-r forum at IPBSA conference

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 07:55:45 GMT 2011

ESP-r Community Forum Monday 14 November 2011 19h00-21h00
      1 November status report

During the IBPSA conference the ESP-r community of users and developers are getting together on the Monday evening of the conference. We also want to welcome those who would like to find out more about ESP-r and open-source approaches to simulation software development.

This will be a great opportunity to hear from several key players in the community, find out about recent developments and a taste about current and planned uses of ESP-r.  We are especially interested in discovering issues relevant to the Pacific Rim.

There will be a mix of Asian and Mediterranean food available - to ensure adequate supplies we need to know by 9 November. We are asking participants to contribute 15 $A to cover costs. The bar in the hotel is close by for those who want more lubrication…..

Please respond to Jon Hand (jon at esru.strath.ac.uk) with you name and contact information.  If you know others who might like to join in please forward!

Forum Activities:

Welcome by Jon Hand of ESRU

Remarks from Professor Joe Clarke of ESRU (the original author of ESP-r)

Remarks from Ian Beausoleil-Morrison (the ESP-r archivist)

Overview of ESP-r capabilities

Report on recent ESP-r developments at the University of Strathclyde

Reports from Pieter-Jan Hoes & Roel Loonen at Eindhoven University of Technology on coupling ESP-r with a building controls virtual test bed.

Report from Kyunghun Woo at Samsung Construction in Seoul on recent efforts to embed simulation in their working practices.

Reports from other participants

Preview of new formats for simulation training and an open forum on future needs for training, developer support and practitioner support.

Open forum to explore simulation demands and opportunities around the Pacific Rim.

Open forum on enabling open source simulation tool use in Pacific Rim markets dominated by proprietary tools.

Question and answer session followed by networking (until they kick us out)….

Arrange post-conference workshops or mentoring related to coding, ESP-r use or problems with your models if there is interest.