[esp-r] Re: 7 openings in a surface_windows ESP

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 10:12:52 BST 2011

All versions of ESP-r support the same maximum resolution of edges
that make up a polygon.  The current number is 42, earlier versions
supported ~32 edges.

Typically this allows you to define floor plates for complex rooms or
to put up to two windows and possibly a door as child surfaces to
one parent surface.  This is the first time that I have heard of
someone attempting 7 child surfaces  and I don't think that most
people could cope with defining so many child surfaces.

If you have lots of windows to put in a facade
then you need to ensure that there are enough parent surfaces or
you have to be very clever about making a few transparent
surfaces look like they are several surfaces (difficult to explain
in text).