[esp-r] Re: clarification of ESP_r air gap specification in low-e glazing

Geissler Achim achim.geissler at fhnw.ch
Thu Jun 16 07:32:18 BST 2011

Hi Jon

thats an interesting topic, come to think of it. An IGU will drastically lose performance when used horizontal with heat flow upward - the ESP-r logic only takes internal heat transfer coefficient into account, though. Possibly this could be changes for TMCs? As a rule of thumb, the U-value of a horizontal IGU with heat flow upward is approx. 140 - 150 % of the vertical-with-horizontal-heat-flow value. As it is now, the user must think of this and create an additional construction for horizontal glazing, even if the actual product is the same as used in a vertical position.