[esp-r] Re: clarification of ESP_r air gap specification in low-e glazing

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 22:27:18 BST 2011

It seems that the ESP-r Cookbook is rather terse on this aspect of
constructions and glazing.  I attach some images which clarify
what is going on.

a) in the materials databases there are a number of classes of materials
    and there is a class labeled GAPS

b) looking in GAPS there are a number of items.  Although there are some
    that are labeled argon filled the best material to pick is the top one
    labeled air gap.

c) the last image is of a tripple glazed window where the standard
    air gap material (equivalent to the legacy material zero) has had
    its air gap resistance revised so that the U value matches the
    manufacturers specification for low-e coatings.

So, leave the GAP materials c/d/e/f/g (in the image) alone for now and select
the GAP material a and modify its resistance once it is in the multi-layer
construction.

The Cookbook should be updated to clarify air gaps.  Thanks for pointing
out the current lack of documentation.

Regards, Jon Hand