[esp-r] Re: radiant floor model in ESP-r

Achim.geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Fri Feb 11 11:17:59 GMT 2011

  Dear Javier     below some answers and comments.     > -----Ursprüngliche
Nachricht-----  > Von: esp-r-bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk [mailto:esp-r-  >
bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk] Im Auftrag von jmazo at unizar.es  > Gesendet:
Freitag, 11. Februar 2011 11:48  > An: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk  > Betreff:
[esp-r] radiant floor model in ESP-r  >   > Dear Sir or Madam,  > I am
Javier Mazo, a PhD student at the University of Zaragoza (Spain).  > My
research work is focused in the study of Phase Change Materials in  >
buildings. I am interested in the simulation of the performance of  > these
phase change materials in thermally activated building systems  > such as a
radiant floor.  > I am very interested in using ESP-r becouse it enables the
simulation  > of PCM, treated as special materials. I would like to know if
it is  > possible to simulate in ESP-r a radiant floor with PCM.     Yes,
this is surely possible. There are two basic approaches to model radiant
floors (or other surfaces).  a) There is a model "radiant heat injection"
for combination with a plant  b) you can define a thin zone and control this
to the desired temperature and thus generate a radiant surface in adjacent
zones     Both approaches should work with the special material PCM. Method
b) will work, for sure.     > I also would like to know some features of the
radiant floor model  > that is used in ESP-r such as:  > -Numerical aproach,
is it based in the finite difference method?, or  > does it use other
methods like RC-models of transfer function models?     Generally, ESP-r
uses finite difference methods, not transfer function models. For the
"radiant heat injection" I am not sure as to the exact approach, however.
But, as the source code is available, you can easily check and know for sure
what approach is used.     > -Does it take into account the bidimensional
efect of heat conduction  > in the radiant floor slab?     No. However,
there is a "3d" possibility hidden in the ESP-r code (designed, as far as I
am aware, for direct modelling of thermal bridges where two surfaces meet,
using a finite element approach). If this can be used for your needs I do
not know, though.     >Thank you very much for your attention. I am looking
forward to your >answer.
 >Regards,
 >Javier

class="autolink)