[esp-r] Re: problem with EPW conversion

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 20:35:01 GMT 2011

There were changes to the format of several fields of the EPW file which
were detected last year and the current version of ESP-r has been used
on many platforms to read in more recent EPW files.

Typically no editing is needed of the EPW file prior to import via
the clm module with one provision - if you are working on Linux or OSX
then you need to convert the DOS line endings in the EPW file to
the Unix form prior to use.

Older versions of ESP-r will fail when reading the new EPW files.

There is a possibility that further (unknown to us) changes have been made in
the EPW file format which is causing problems. I suggest passing me one of
the problem files so I can have a look.

In another climate related issue - some people have reported problems
with ESP-r climate files sourced via Meteornom.  As far as I can tell
the work-around is to export to EPW and then convert to ESP-r format.