[esp-r] Re: esp-r_x11_v11.9_osx_snow_in_opt 64bit

Richard Cochrane rcc1002 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 14:51:16 GMT 2010

* So I started with a clean installation of 10.6.3 with Xcode, and updated
to OS 10.6.5 and Xcode 3.2.4 with software updates.
* Then I installed fink http://www.finkproject.org/ and fink commander
http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/
* I installed gcc4.4 using fink commander.
* Unarchived esp-r_x11_v11.9_osx_snow_in_opt.tar.gz
* Following the instructions
in /opt/esru/esp-r/manual/OS/Apple/instructions_for_esp-r_osx_installer.txt
to set up /opt folder and permissions, I then copied the files from the
unzipped archive to the /opt/esru folder.
* Added export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/opt/esru/esp-r/bin/:$PATH  to my
.profile file

When this didn't work, following Dr Koji Takemasa's advice i downloaded gcc
from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpc/files/hpc/gcc/gcc-snwleo-intel-bin.tar.gz/download
.
I copied the i386 folder from the HPC gcc package to the
folder /sw/lib/gcc4.4/lib that fink had created.

There are probably better ways to get the two versions of gcc working - and
I haven't tried removing the 64 bit version to see if esp-r still runs or if
both are required however I do now have a working installation...

Thanks for the help - and I hope this helps others if they get stuck.

+regards
Richard