[esp-r] Re: Electrochromic glazing

Francesco Frontini francesco.frontini at polimi.it
Tue Nov 9 09:35:01 GMT 2010

Dear Paulo Tavares,

I am not working now on Electrochromic glazing but here at ISE we had
a project several years ago about Switchable facade. You can fine more
information on the internet site: http://www.eu-swift.de/
In this project the dynamic properties of the glazing are considered
within the models, by defining several switching states for each
facade type. The switching was modelled as an instantaneous change of
properties, so that the glazing properties are changed within the
simulation run time, depending on the control strategy. The glazing
was modelled within ESP-r (I guess there is also an exemplar model in
the ESP-r distribution).

Let´s now speak about the Bi-directional model we implemented last
year in ESP-r.
As you wrote in your e-mail the model is more flexible than the TMC.
We implemented this model because we would like to assess different
glazing facade configuration (f.e. external venitian blind with
different slat angles) toghether with complex fenestration properties
(not rotationally symmetric).
You have two different possibilities to link the control strategies of
the glazing systems:

1) An option for “optics” control has been developed with the same way
as for the other control options in ESP-r. You can find it under the
"optics" menu. You have to difine a control loop and then you have the
option to define sensor, actuator and period data (f.e. incident
radiation on the external surface).

2) The second option is to use the temporal definitions file to
specify how the datasets should alternate at every timestep. You can
find it under the menu “model context” and then on “impose measure
data”.

Just one remark: you have to create your input file (g-value, direct
transm and ext-reflectance) in advance as function of the sun position
(altitude and azimuth for example).

Hope this is now more clear for you. Please let me know if I can help
you somehow!

Regards

Francesco

--
Dr. Francesco Frontini, MEng PhD in Buildings Engineering

Fraunhofer Institut für Solare Energiesysteme ISE
Heidenhofstr. 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany

M1:    [+39] 333-3097826
M2:    [+49] (0)1522-1624691

Phone: [+49] (0)7614588-5358
FAX:   [+49] (0)7614588-9358

@1: francesco.frontini at ise.fraunhofer.de
@2: francesco.frontini at polimi.it

is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.