[esp-r] topology tool and data

julien nembrini julien.nembrini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:10:35 BST 2010

Dear all,

I am quite a beginner in esp-r and I am trying to evaluate whether it
can be valuable for my research. I posted a similar question on the
esp-r user club :
http://esp-r.forumactif.com/zones-geometry-topology-tool-f3/topology-tool-t74.htm

First, I am looking for the topology tool as a standalone in the
binaries (cfg as described here
http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/Programs/ESP-r_tut/esp_aps.htm#ap_cfg). But
was not able to find it on the linux distribution. Is it still
available? Does compiling from source would make it appear ?? Can I
invoke it on the command line using prj?

Actually I would like to automate the creation of the connection list to
accommodate for parametrically changing topologies and thought that the
topology tool could achieve this from the zones geometry definition.
Does anyone has another (better) idea?

Also, looking closely at the files .cnn and .geo I realize that the
boundary conditions is duplicated in the surfaces geometric definition.

.geo

*surf,part_a,VERT,-,-,-,int_part,OPAQUE,ANOTHER,01,01  #   6 ||<
part_a:reception

.cnn

    2   6   3   1   1  #   18 part_a in examination >|< part_a in reception

Apparently, the .geo file is updated after running the topology tool.
However, when clearing the topology information, the .geo file is not
updated. Trying to save the (examination) zone geometry I get the following:

.geo

*surf,part_a,VERT,-,-,-,int_part,OPAQUE,ANOTHER,01,01  #   6 ||< external

.cnn

    2   6   0   0   0  #   18 part_a in examination is External

When is the difference resolved?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind regards.

Julien Nembrini, PhD