[esp-r] Re: heat capacity

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 16:55:19 BST 2010

A question about thermal capacity....

ESP-r does consider mass, it does this explicitly during the numerical solution based on
the material thermophysical properties of each layer of the construction.

ESP-r has been the subject of lots of validation studies (empirical and analytical) and
so it would be interesting to see what your model is indicating that is different from 'theory'.

And there are other factors which you many need to consider - have you correctly
defined the boundary conditions?  Is the movement of air in the room that you are
studying the same as the assumptions made in your model (the surface heat
transfer might not be correct).  If you are running your simulation at a one hour
timestep then you could try a shorter timestep - say 10 minutes.