[esp-r] operation file - infiltration scheme with default interpolation function?

Tobias Zitzmann tobias.zitzmann at ise.fraunhofer.de
Wed Sep 29 15:40:47 BST 2010

Dear users,

I used an operation file to define the internal gains and infiltration
flow rates for a simple room in winter case. Gains and infiltration rate
are 250W and 0.5h-1 between 7am-6pm; outside this period the values are
20W and 0.1h-1. No operation control has been set up. The simulation
time step is 5min.

As I have expected, the simulation result shows a sudden raise of
internal gains at 7am and a sudden decrease at 6pm. However, for the
infiltration rate the solver seems to interpolate linearly between
7am-8am and between 6pm-7pm.

Thus, the difference between the internal gain scheme without
interpolation and the infiltration scheme with interpolation leads to
significant 'room temperature humps' after 7am and 6pm.

Is this linear interpolation procedure the default setting for the
infiltration scheme in ESP-r? What is the reason for this and is there a
way to switch it off in the operation file? The only way I was able to
get rid of the interpolation so far was to use a 5min time step temporal
file.

Any comments are welcome,

Tobias

--