[esp-r] Re: finding green roof model in esp-r

Georgios KOKOGIANNAKIS Georgios.KOKOGIANNAKIS at nottingham.edu.cn
Tue Sep 28 14:22:22 BST 2010

Dear Leanne,

As far as I am aware there is no easy and proper way to currently model green roofs in ESP-r. In the literature I see one attempt to do that with ESP-r and for only a specific case which was just modifying external convection. This is clearly not an adequate way to represent green roofs.
I was looking into green roofs a lot lately. To be honest I do not think that there are many whole building tools that can properly define green roofs. I have only seen a detailed green roof component in EnergyPlus so far (and in DesignBuilder which is an interface and uses the same model) but it also has some limitations that do not fully satisfy my requirements.
I am actually about to start developing a detailed model in ESP-r, which takes advantage of the ESP-r's structure (i.e. finite volumes) and it is based on a famous model from the literature. If everything goes well you will be able to use ESP-r for green roofs in the future.

Best regards,
Georgios