[esp-r] Re: esp-r Digest, Vol 48, Issue 12

Marco Manzan mmanzan at alice.it
Tue Aug 3 08:29:09 BST 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:25:23 +0100
> From: Jon Hand <jon at esru.strath.ac.uk>
> Subject: [esp-r] reminder to check your localle before working with
> 	ESP-r	models!
> To: "esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk" <esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk>
>

> A sad story - a user had a nice little model and then all of
> a sudden it stoped workinig and could not be opened....
>
> And what happened was that the zone geometry file and
> the model configuration file had written out real numbers
> with a comma for a decimal place.  ESP-r thinks that a
> comma separates two numbers and got hopelessly messed
> up.  The fault was corrected (in this case) by a global replace
> of the commas with a dot for decimal places.
>
> Two things to learn from this....
>
> a) keep a back up copy of your model before you start working on it
>    (so you can recover from this kind of change)
>
> b) if you are working in a region of the world that uses something
> other than a dot/period for a decimal place you need to reset
> your localle while working with ESP-r.
>
> And this is simply because we do not know how to instruct
> the input/output format statements (written in fortran) to
> treat real numbers in a different way.
>
> Regards, Jon Hand

> End of esp-r Digest, Vol 48, Issue 12
> *************************************

From my experience the locale problem is related to the internationalization
of the GTK toolkit, there aren't problems with the text or X11 versions of
esp-r. To correct the problem when I use the GTK version I issue the command:

export LC_NUMERIC=C

only the locale for  numerics need to be changed.
It is worth noting that this is a common problem for a number of codes also in
windows , among them GSLedit .

regards

Marco
|Marco Manzan               Email: manzan at units.it            |
|Tel:   (+39) 040 5583506   Fax  : (+39) 040  572033          |
|Dipartimento di Ingegneria Navale, del Mare e per l'Ambiente |
|Universita' degli Studi di Trieste                           |
|via Valerio 10, 34127 TRIESTE                                |