[esp-r] Re: Is it possible adding a new zone by inserting into some zone?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue May 4 14:02:22 BST 2010

It is possible to have one zone inside another zone as long as
the surfaces of the 'inside' zone are also included in the 'outer'
zone.

There are multiple approaches.  You could create additional
surfaces in the outer zone and then create a new zone which
is made by copying (and inverting) the relevant surfaces.  This
would be followed by a topology check to create the thermophysical
links between the surfaces.

The alternative is to add a new zone first, creating all of its surfaces
and then change your focus to the 'outer' zone and copy & invert
the relevant surfaces and then doing the topology check.

There is another shortcut which could apply - there is a surface
transform which extrudes surfaces at right angles from a parent
surface.  For example a dozen sided (approximation of a round end)
was used to extrude the shape of a boiler and then these surfaces
copied as needed for the outer and inner zones.

Conceptually you could have several 'inner' zones or even
a zone in a zone in a zone.

-ESRU