[esp-r] Re: World turned upside down....

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 18:52:59 GMT 2010

A model that seems to be upside down....

It would be interesting to re-trace the steps that got to this model.  Whether or not
this is possible...the lesson for all is that wire-frame views can tell lies.... there are
several reports that can help identify whether they are true.

hint one - turn on the surface normals and look to see that they are facing towards outside/otherside

hint two - look at the reported azimuth and elevations in the surface details report.  east is 90 degrees
and south is 180 degrees, floors have an elevation of  -90 etc.

hint three - check these numbers prior to spending time attributing surfaces - if you have an upside
down world you might just want to delete it and start again.

hint four - if you are putting in a floor plan extrusion check the order you put in the X Y edges (they need to
be anti-clockwise looking down).  If you put them in clockwise you will have an inside-out model.

hint five - mode QA reports are REALLY good for checking models.  Create and print out and
show them to your colleagues - they might spot something and it might take them only a few minutes.

-ESRU