[esp-r] Re: How to start esp-r from within an X11 command window

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 20 13:07:41 GMT 2010

A new-to-linux question.   For questions at this level of detail email discussion groups
might not be the most efficient approach.  There are many small books written about
Linux for new-to-linux people.  It will save you lots of time if you buy one of these
and read it for basic Linux skills.  Also, see if you can find a colleague or friend
who knows a bit about Linux.

Almost all Linux distributions will have an option for getting a graphic terminal application
from one of the main pull-down menus (look in Accessories or in System Tools).

You will need to learn the Linux commands for navigating to different folders via
commands typed into a graphic terminal.  And you will want to learn how to
create new folders.  And to ensure that you do not loose valuable models you
will want to learn how to create the Linux equivalent of a zip file.  Someone who
knows Linux can demonstrate these things to you in 15 minutes.

Assuming you have started up a graphic terminal and you have changed to a folder
named Models you could start up ESP-r by giving the following command:
  prj

To find out the command options for prj give the command:
  prj -help

And if you are more confident working in a Windows environment you might
choose to use the Native Windows version of ESP-r.

-ESRU