[esp-r] Re: CO2 unit

Aizaz Samuel aizaz.a.samuel at strath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 19 12:11:55 GMT 2010

Ehsan,

Concentration reporting in the thesis is in PPM by mass. Units of volume have
not been used anywhere in the code or the thesis because the analysis is
based on conservation of mass but no conservation of volume exists.

Furthermore I have not investigated mechanisms to convert PPM by mass to PPM
by volume, it probably includes scaling by relative gram formula masses (air
being 28 approximately and CO2 being 44) So one can convert: 1000ppm mass =
1g CO2 per 1000g air = 1/44 mole CO2 per 1000/28 mole air = (1/44)*24 litre
CO2 per (1000/28)*24 litre air = 0.636 lit CO2 / 1000 lit air = 636ppm volume

The above assumes a molar volume of 24 lit/mol for both gases. There might by
other considerations in the above simple calculation so do check against some
reference text.

Regards,
Aizaz Samuel