[esp-r] Re: Mixing plant and ideal zone controls

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 16:19:02 GMT 2009

The normal response would be that it is not possible to associate a zone control and
a plant control with the same zone because the two could fight each other during the
solution process.  We normally assume that the plant is doing it all rather than
sharing the task.

A work around would for smaller models might be to create an extra zone
to deliver the plant ventilation to and then use a flow network to push/exchange that
air into the real zone which has a zone control set to 20C.

The other approach would be to not use explicit plant components and implement
a rough equivalent of the plant components as zone controls in the extra zone and
then use an air flow network to get the result of the abstract components via-a-zone
into your real zone.

Whether you can abstractly represent the system depends on what kind of heat
recovery is being used in the building, but it is often possible to use a combination
of flow components to capture the essential characteristics of ventilation and
heat recovery.