[esp-r] Re: Res: Problems running validation sets on esp-r

Georgios KOKOGIANNAKIS Georgios.KOKOGIANNAKIS at nottingham.edu.cn
Fri Oct 2 15:36:19 BST 2009

Dear Clodoaldo,

Thanks for your email and apologies for my long reply. Here is what happens.

a) The 960 models fails because of the control file. It uses the control file of 320 which is a 1 zone model while 960 is a 2 zone model. I am guessing that this was OK in the past but it is not anymore in ESP-r. To solve it, go to the validation folder and copy the 320.ctl file inside the 960 model folder. Then rename it to 960.ctl and at at the last line of the file a 0. i.e. instead of
# Function:Zone links
 1

make it
# Function:Zone links
 1,0

At the end, open 960.cfg and rename the control file name to 960.ctl (instead of ../320/320.ctl). Somebody will need to make this change to the development branch.

b) Regarding 900-600, it seems that your 900 model is not running. The results that you are reporting are from 600 model and not from 900-600 (i.e. they are not the difference of 900 minus 600). I currently have access only to the Windows version and the validation section is not working in Windows (long paths.. long story) but I can run the models individually with no problems. The results seem reasonable. I manually paste them here:
deltaAH: -3197 kWh (inside)
deltaAC: 4311 kWh (inside)
deltaPH: -0.6334 (outside by a bit)
deltaPC: 3.3869 (almost inside)
Conclusion from this exercise: check your 900 model.
Having said that, from this exercise you will find that there are differences between the results of the current ESP-r and the version of 1993. This is normal because there have been several bug fixes and developments all these years. They will not be large differences and they may be in tests where ESP-r set the lower or upper limits of the BESTEST in 1993. There may be a need for a review of the BESTEST suit and new ranges should be defined.

Anyway, you also mentioned CEN tests. What do you mean that you see differences there? These tests are all within the specified by the Standard ranges. They are more prescribed that the BESTEST, with strict ranges and their output does not always mean that the program is accurate (i.e. it is only accurate under the prescribed conditions).

Best regards,
Georgios