[esp-r] Re: Underground temperature?

Bob Irving bob.irving at brookes.ac.uk
Tue Sep 29 11:02:05 BST 2009

Underground temperatures below 10m are usually reckoned to be the same
as the average yearly air temperature.

There is a formula in Labs, K "Underground Building Climate". Solar
Age, Vol 4 Part 10, 1979 reproduced in Harris, D J "Ground
Temperatures in Britain". International Journal of Ambient Energy, Vol
27, No 3, which relates underground temperature to Mean annual
Temperature, depth, time of year in days, amplitude of surface
temperature, thermal diffusivity, which gives a sort of sine wave.
Also in Jenkins, D. P., Tucker, R., & Rawlings, R. (2009). Modelling
the carbon-saving performance of domestic ground-source heat pumps,
Energy and Buildings.

Bob Irving
PhD researcher
Oxford Inst of Sustainable Development