[esp-r] Re: 10 column limitation using RES

Scott Bucking sbucking at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:14:50 BST 2009

Hi Achim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

(1) The variable names in RES are quite often somewhat misleading. For solar
> radiation, I have found it easiest / best to add a small surface with
> absorptivity of 1.0 as "sensor" on each elevation of interest.
>
> Just curious regarding your reasoning for creating a sensor versus using
the output from built-in variables.  Have you found certain variables
personally to be inaccurate with regards to incident solar energy?  What is
considered to be 'best practice' for extraction of incident solar radiation?

My main concern in using a point sensor is that some modelling complexity
with regards to self-shading via the insolation and shading module would be
ignored or moreover the sensor might be placed by accident in a partially
shaded area (please note that I am developing an optimization procedure that
auto-generates geometry, and hence would require auto-sensor placement based
on geometry).

I am completely in favor, if both methods yield similar results regardless
of shading.

> (2) There is an additional output possibility: xml. If your model is not
> too large / complex, the runtime increase when using xml output is not too
> dire. All you need is a compile with xml support and an input.xml file in
> the calling directory of esp-r. After a short run (a few timesteps) a file
> "dictionary" is created. This lists all available output. Then, the
> input.xml can be extended to whatever output you require and there is no
> limit to columns ...
>
> I have played around a little with XML support but gave up when I
discovered how to use RES via scripts.   I am dealing with a lot of data,
hourly time steps, annual simulation with electrical, air-flow networks,
etc...  So time taken to write to a text file adds up quickly.  I found RES
to be much more streamlined as I can extract specific variables from the res
db file.

The only option I am familiar with the output xml is the 'dump all data'
option.  Are there options to output specific variables?  Any documentation
on this?  Is XML support still considered to be experimental?

Scott