[esp-r] FW: esp-r v11.7 on Ubuntu 9.04

Matthew Wright matthew.wright at c4ci.eu
Thu Aug 27 10:51:12 BST 2009

From: Matthew Wright [mailto:matthew.wright at c4ci.eu]
Sent: 27 August 2009 10:47
To: 'giulio benincasa'
Subject: RE: [esp-r] esp-r v11.7 on Ubuntu 9.04

Hi all,

I have managed to install it, with the help of a friendly Unix/Linux
software developer.

I followed the Instructions for Ubuntu 8.04, as laid out by John Hand, but
with some curious additions/alterations

I'd started to write them up in case anyone else was similarly stuck, and
this is the result so far -

For the record, I shall record exactly what we had to do, since as a
'Windows-man', Terminal, and the Ubuntu method of un-hiding files, were a
complete mystery.

In the end we applied various changes, all of which prevented the program
from running if not present.

In terminal (Ubuntu>Applications>Accessories>Terminal) we used the directory
command 'cd' to put us the home folder

       $ cd /home/"user name"/

      (IN MY CASE TYPING IN "user name" MEANT WRITING SIMPLY -> Matthew)

We checked out what was in that file (directory) using the list command 'ls'

      $ ls (and if that failed) $ ls -la

      ('ls -la' delivers a list of all files and objects, even those hidden
by 'ls', with file size, permissions and other data)

We then used the nano text editer to open the .profile folder

      $ nano .profile

In the editor we placed # before three lines of text that seemed to be an IF
, THEN kind of statement, and included the PATH command as set out in John
Hands Ubuntu 8.04 instructions. We tried editing the IF THEN statement to
include the PATH command, but this didn't seem to work.

(The # symbol renders the code non operative, it is read as an annotation
only, so we could reclaim it if required.)

We pasted in the as the instructions required -

      PATH="$HOME/bin:/usr/esru/esp-r/bin:$PATH"

            Command.

We also changed the name of the file from .profile to .bash_profile. Without
this the program would not run.

This seemed to be necessary.

We used a Terminal command to do this. I can't remember which command this
was, but there are glossaries of commands for Terminal online, please Google
it.

We located the esprc folder by using the built in search, then used the copy
command (cp) to move it to the home folder, cp (address where file is)
(address where it needs to go).

We also changed the Terminal response to commands, by going into
Terminal>Preferences> Title and Command and then checked the box that said,
"Run command as a login shell."

We found this hint here -
<http://lists.strath.ac.uk/archives/esp-r/2006/000120.html>
http://lists.strath.ac.uk/archives/esp-r/2006/000120.html

This seems to also be necessary.

It is also true that to unpack from the source code some time must be spent
in the Synaptics Mananger installing compilers. The names have changed
between 8.04 and 9.04 and the Synaptics Manager will suggest several
alternatives based on the names of compilers and libraries mentioned in the
nstructions, 'Installing on Ubuntu 8.04'. I used old fashioned trial and
error. One thing to mention that helps such a process, is that if, when in a
Terminal command line, one pushes the 'up-arrow' on the keyboard, Terminal
will scroll through your previous command line entries in order. This
facilitates 'trial and error' process well.

It is possible that we altered one or two other things in ways not quite as
described for 8.04, beyond what I have already mentioned I do not remember.

I had installed the vs.11.7 from the source code in the X11 graphical
format.

I hope this helps and is not too long -

Regards

Matt