[esp-r] Re: Simulating UFH vs radiators

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Sun Aug 23 17:13:08 BST 2009

Hi Bob

thanks for the more detailed information (and sorry for my
directness ... I assume, however, that more than half the people on
the list are non-native speakers of English - that would be an
interesting statistic, how the list is growing / where the members
come from).

As Aizaz wrote, there are exemplars with radiators and UFH systems.
However, these components are "Plant" - the learning curve for plants
is steeper than for the "simple" zones IMO (not to speak of the
combination of both which would of course be desirable). But if the
existing exemplars are already close to what you want, small changes
should not be too difficult.

You could also model the systems as "zones only" - ESP-r is flexible
enough for that. The underfloor heating would be a thin zone under the
"main" zone of interest controlled to the temperature desired (this
would lack a temperature difference between inlet and outlet, of
course - at least in the "one zone" approach). The radiator could also
be modeled as a zone or possibly a hanging surface (not sure if / how
one can control the temperature then, though.

So, as originally stated, yes, ESP-r can model what you need. But
depending on approach, not "without effort".

Best regards
Achim