[esp-r] Re: Simulating UFH vs radiators

Bob Irving bob.irving at brookes.ac.uk
Fri Aug 21 09:39:12 BST 2009

I'm sorry, my original message did rather assume a British
background.....

For UFH, I mean "underfloor heating" - distribution of heat by water
running in pipes immediately below the floor surface.
By radiators, I mean the large flat metal things attached to walls
which have water running through them to distribute heat.

The theory says that underfloor heating can use lower temperatures
because of the larger area and is therefore more suitable for heat
pump heating systems.
Radiator systems are suppose to need higher temperatures because of
their smaller area.
However, the occupants of the houses, where I am monitoring heat
pumps, find the temperatures OK though the output temperatures from
the heat pumps are not that high.

I would like to explore through simulation what's going on.

IES VE does not appear to allow you to specify different heat
distribution systems. I don't think it allows you to specify the
maximum temperature for distribution.

I hope that this clearer!

	Bob Irving