[esp-r] Re: Limit number of windows in a surface

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Aug 17 15:33:01 BST 2009

A question about facade complexity...

In my model some surfaces have 5 and 6 (and even more) windows. When i try to enter the second one in a surface, the program gives me a message to link this one to the other lower vertice of the surface. This means that i just can have 2 windows per surface? So i must put an equivalent window area (to that 5 or more) in the surface? Or can i link more than one window to the same lower vertices? If i do this, ESP-r will have fatal errors?

There is a limit to the number of edges that can form a polygon. Each window you add
adds 6 more edges to the parent surface. Also, it has proven difficult for users to
keep track of the dozens of edges needed in the parent surface if there are more than
two child surfaces.

Depending on the arrangement of the windows in your facade there are different
ways to approach this. This is somewhat difficult to describe in an email.  What
we normally recommend is to use more parent surfaces (e.g. split the wall) so
that each part of the facade is not so complex.