[esp-r] Re: Problem with airflow network

Aizaz Samuel aizaz.a.samuel at strath.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 14:39:21 BST 2009

Liam,

This type of known pressure node is in fact equivalent to a boundary type
node. The problem is that you have internal nodes from which you add and
subtract volume (not mass) when you use a fixed volume flow rate component.
The solver imposes a mass balance and when temperature changes, the mass of
air blown by the fixed volume flow rate component changes. So the solver
blows up.

Suggestions for your network:
1. Try using fixed mass flow rate components
2. Do not put in more of such components than are absolutely necessary e.g.
just put in mass flow components to blow air from mixing to north/south, the
return path from north/south to mixing will have the correct flows due to
continuity and you can get away by just putting an air flow opening type
component.

Regards,
Aizaz