[esp-r] Re: esp-r simulation and results viewing time

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Jun 23 12:00:54 BST 2009

This is one of the few reports we have had of res 'hanging frequently'.  We would
like to determine if this is related to a specific Operating System/Machine type/
compiler/source version combination.  Can the original poster please supply
the following information:
a) Operating System
b) Compilers used and their version
c) The command parameters used in the ./Install
d) messages issued by the application that crashed.

The results analysis application has been used successfully with results
files greater than 1GB.   There is an upper limit to the file size where
results are somewhat more risky.  Our current view is that this is
around 1.5GB.

The usual approach to large results sets is to define a so-called integrated
performance view based on several assessments rather than a single
results file - e.g.  5 assessments (one for each season)  will result in
smaller results file sizes.

The other tactic is to not simulate every day of the season but a typical
week in each season and then scale the results.  Again the integrated performance
view can handle this scaling.