[esp-r] Re: Obstructions

Diaz, Camilo Camilo.Diaz at WSPGroup.com
Mon Apr 20 15:33:50 BST 2009

Mrco/Achim thanks for your response. Marco your results sound very
interesting, and very much in line with my experience. But this goes in
some contradiction with Achim's comment about triple glazing performing
better, which is also a valid point (thanks Achim). Our results show a
benefit in surface temperature if you go for external shading but have
not used ESP-r for this and wondered if it is a modelling issue. This is
for a building in Dubai. Is there any chance I can see some results of
your study?

Regards

Camilo

________________________________

From: esp-r-bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk
[mailto:esp-r-bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Marco Manzan
Sent: 20 April 2009 13:57
To: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk
Subject: [esp-r] Re: Obstructions

> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:22:59 +0100

> From: "Diaz, Camilo" <Camilo.Diaz at WSPGroup.com>

> Subject: [esp-r] Re: Obstructions

> To: <esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk>

> <C7F7A047EE606843AA7A33EF3EAD540C0196B849 at exc01col1uk.uk.wspgroup.com>

> Dear all, a separate but related issue. Has anyone compared in esp-r
the

> effect of external shading versus high performance glass? Has glazing

> technology improved so much these days that external shading devices
will

> soon be a thing of the past? Perhaps in terms of cooling loads yes but
what

> about comfort? In my book no matter how good the glass is, if exposed

> incident radiation, it will heat up and raise its surface temperature,
the

> MRT and eventually the overall resultant temperature of the room. Any

> welcome. Thanks

> Camilo Diaz

> WSP Energy &Environment Ltd

> 07713985845

I'm performing some simulation to assess the energy consumption of
offices with external shading devices with high performance glazing
systems you are speaking about. I'm comparing standard double glass and
selective glass with low g value. I'm considering heating, cooling and
lighting . What I found is that a optimized shading device coupled with
double glass behaves better than an high performance glass with or
without shading devices. For the moment the results are for a south
exposed window and norther italy climate.

--

|Marco Manzan Email: manzan at units.it |

|Tel: (+39) 040 5583506 Fax : (+39) 040 572033 |

|Dipartimento di Ingegneria Navale, del Mare e per l'Ambiente |

|Universita' degli Studi di Trieste |

|piazzale Europa 1, 34127 TRIESTE |