[esp-r] Re: Obstructions

Marco Manzan manzan at units.it
Mon Apr 20 13:57:16 BST 2009

> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:22:59 +0100
> From: "Diaz, Camilo" <Camilo.Diaz at WSPGroup.com>
> Subject: [esp-r] Re: Obstructions
> To: <esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk>
>
> Dear all, a separate but related issue. Has anyone compared in esp-r the
> effect of external shading versus high performance glass? Has glazing
> technology improved so much these days that external shading devices will
> soon be a thing of the past? Perhaps in terms of cooling loads yes but what
> about comfort? In my book no matter how good the glass is, if exposed to
> incident radiation, it will heat up and raise its surface temperature, the
> MRT and eventually the overall resultant temperature of the room. Any views
> welcome. Thanks
>

> Camilo Diaz
> WSP Energy &Environment Ltd
> 07713985845

I'm performing some simulation to assess the energy consumption of offices with external shading devices with high performance glazing systems you are speaking about. I'm comparing standard double glass and selective glass with low g value. I'm considering heating, cooling and lighting . What I found is that a optimized shading device coupled with double glass behaves better than an high performance glass with or without shading devices. For the moment the results are for a south exposed window and norther italy climate.

--
|Marco Manzan               Email: manzan at units.it            |