[esp-r] Simulation breaks in combined plant and air flow network

Christian Anker Hviid cah at byg.dtu.dk
Mon Mar 23 13:36:04 GMT 2009

Hello ESP-r community

I am doing combined simulations of plant and air flow network. I am only using the stack and windpressure as driving forces and controlling the flow with a flow corrector and a proportional control law. The simulation often breaks with the error:

cmaslv: forward reduction phase
forward error: zero diagonal in row xx

STOP LUDCMS: singular matrix! Statement executed

I am guessing the error arises when two things coincide, the controller has closed the damper too much and driving pressure is too small, i.e. the mass flow is close to zero. I have not encountered the same error for pure mfs simulations.

Has any had the same problems and is there a remedy that does not include altering climate data? (increasing wind speed actually does help). Switching matrix solution methods from gaussian to LU decomposition does not help.

Best regards

Christian Anker Hviid
Industrial PhD candidate

DTU Byg