[esp-r] opaque and transparant

Leen Peeters Leen.Peeters at mech.kuleuven.be
Thu Feb 19 09:54:53 GMT 2009

dear all,

in bcfunc, in routine MZRMIXT I found the following:

C  IMRTT   - Defines the position of the MRT sensor within the zone
C            IMRTT=1 : selected surfaces associated with sensor
C            IMRTT=2 : all surfaces associated with sensor

C  ITSC    - dictates whether or not transparent surfaces can influence
C            the sensor.
C            ITSC=0 : no
C            ITSC=1 : yes

C  NSAMRT  - corresponds to IMRTT=1 and is an index of the number of
C            surfaces associated with the MRT sensor

C  IMRTS   - identifies which surfaces are used in the MRT calculation

C Fix sensor type for now.
      IMRTT(IC)=2
      ITSC(IC)=1

C Summate product of internal surface temperatures (opaque
C and transparent), and corresponding areas.
      TAI=TFUT
      NC=NCONST(ICMP)
      TMRT=TAI
      SUM=0.
      AREA=0.
      call eclose(RAD,0.00,0.1,close)
      IF(close)GOTO 8

C Opaque internal surfaces.
      DO 20 J=1,NC
        IF(IMRTT(IC).EQ.2)GOTO 3
        JJ=J
        DO 50 K=1,NSAMRT(IC)
          IF(JJ.NE.IMRTS(IC,K))GOTO 50
          GOTO 3
   50   CONTINUE
        GOTO 20
    3   TO=TFS(ICMP,J)
        SUM=SUM+TO*SNA(ICMP,J)
        AREA=AREA+SNA(ICMP,J)
   20 CONTINUE

C Compute weighted temperature.
      IF(AREA.LE.0.)GOTO 1000
      TMRT=SUM/AREA
      MRT=TMRT
    8 TMIX=CONV*TAI+RAD*TMRT
      GOTO 7
 1000 call edisp(iuout,
     &  ' MZMIXT: zero area associated with the mrt sensor!')
      write(outs,'(A,I3)')' Zone',ICMP
      call edisp(iuout,outs)

    7 RETURN
      END

To calculate the MRT for the radiant heat exchange between a TAB element and the zone, it should indeed only include the opaque surfaces. However, to calculate the MRT as sensed by an occupant (and thus the value to pass to a controller) it should include the transparant surfaces as well. As far as I get the routine, IMRTT is always set to 2 and consequently all surfaces, opaque or transparant are included.... When I grep for a flag indicating a material/surface to be transparent or opaque, I found 'OPAQ', which is not included in this routine ...

Can anyone possibly explain this to me?

Thanks,

Leen