[esp-r] ... climate files ...

Matt Koch mattkoch at scitex.us
Mon Feb 9 00:51:47 GMT 2009

Hello there,

been looking into ESP-r for a number of years, decided to give it a real
try now. First hurdle is climate file conversion. Found a bunch of EPW
files for EnergyPlus, trying to convert them to ESP-r binary using the
following command:

clm -mode text -file USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2 -act epw2bin silent
USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2.epw

The following is the output:

"Starting clm in mode text with file USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2
and action epw2bin in silent       mode.
using/making file USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2.epw

ESP-r Climate Analysist Tool (clm).
This is a development copy of clm, based on ESP-r release 11.6.

Copyright 2001-2007 Energy Systems Research Unit.

Build information:
  - SVN Source:       trunk at r3860 (locally modified)
  - Platform:         i686:Linux:2.6.27.9-mk
  - Compilers:        gcc/g++/gfortran
  - Graphics Library: GTK
  - XML output:       Unsupported
 Systems Research Unit, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland.

Using installed version of esprc file.

 Climate data: SAN_ANTONIO TX USA
    29.5N    8.5W: 1981  DN

 In USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2.epw error reading (line 1) EOF sensed.
 Climate_conversion    USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2.epw
 USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2"

The file USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2 does get created, and I seem to be able
to use it in esp-r - for example, I can display the dry bulb temperature
and relative humidity in a graph. However, I am worried the "EOF" error
in the above output somehow indicates a  corrupted file
USA_TX_San.Antonio_TMY2, possibly leading to wrong results. Any clue
what that error is all about (I get this no matter whether LF or CRLF
terminate the lines in the EPW file)?

Secondly, the above EPW file has rather old data, and the longitude in
it appears to be wrong. So, I found a bunch of newer TWY3 files, but
they are in CSV format (722530TY.csv for San Antonio). However, I do not
know how to turn a CSVfile into something usable by ESP-r. Any ideas?

Thirdly, is there any reference manual that documents the command line
options of the various modules, such as the ones above for clm? It was
by pure chance that I happened across the above command.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Matt Koch, Ph.D., P.E.
Science & Technology Consultants (SciTeX)
www.scitex.us
mattkoch at scitex.us
(830)-446-1839