[esp-r] Re: Compiling ESP-r source code

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 10 09:44:48 GMT 2008

A recent question about compiling.  Actually there are more issues in the warning
message than about XML....

You can get around the XML issue by saying no to the inclusion of XML.

There is a line g77: command not found - this is the fortran compiler and nothing
is going to happen if it does not find the compiler.  What is likely is that:
a) your machine is newer and is using the gfortran compiler and a newer
   version of the gcc compiler collection.  Check this via the commands
   which gcc
   gcc --version

   which g77
   g77 --version

   which gfortran
   gfortran --version

Sometimes g77 is really g77-3.4 and gcc is really gcc-3.4 in which case
you would install via the command
  ./Install -d /usr/esru --compiler_version -3.4

If your machine has gfortran and is using a version of gcc greater than 4.0
then check the Install --help messages for the syntax of using version 4
compilers.

b) your machine does not have either the g77 or gfortran then you
will need to use your package manager to install the compiler.

-ESRU