[esp-r] Re: instable with global solar

Georgios Kokogiannakis georgios at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 19:44:52 GMT 2008

Hi Holger,

The switch from Direct normal to Global Horizontal works fine as far as I am
aware. It also exorts ascii files correctly (just tested it).
If you manage to open the ascii file you will see a line similar tp this one:
 1967,52.00,0.00,123   # year, latitude, long diff, global horiz rad flag

the last number (i.e. "123") means that it is using Global horizontal. If it
is 0 then it uses direct normal.

Regarding the MZELWE Longwave Flux Messages I think you should check your
relative humidity values. Do not leave to 0% - change them to something like
50%.

Hope this helps.
Georgios

On Thursday 30 October 2008 19:27, Holger Bertling wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I solved my stable-problems within normal simulations.
> (see: MZELWE Longwave Flux Messages)
>
> Now I want to simulate the model with different climate-files.
> There are only global solar horizontal available.
>
> I switched the climate-files with clm to global solar.
> Now the simulation is really getting instable.
> MZELWE-Messages without ending.
>
> What surprised me:
> I could read the files with an editor,
> but after I switched them to global solar
> they cannot be opend with an editor anymore,
> even if I write the data out to ASCII-files again.
>
> Now I think that maybe the switch is not enough
> and the model gets the full global as direkt power...
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Best regards,
> Holger

Energy Systems Research Unit (ESRU)