[esp-r] Re: PV modeling

Liam O'Brien obrien_liam at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 03:01:50 BST 2008

Thanks very much, Nick.  I finally got it working.

I have a follow-up question; this goes to anyone.  I've been analyzing the results and there's a bit of an inconsistency on a monthly basis.  In the summer months, the average efficiency (electrical output divided by incident radiation) that I calculated is several percentage points higher than the panels specs.  But in the winter months, it's very low (around 2%, vs. the 7% expected).  Looking closely, this seems to be caused by some arbitrary threshold of solar radiation (around 260 W/m^2), below which the PV produces no electricity.  So my horizontal PV panel produces little electricity even on a sunny winter day (lat=44N).   Any idea what might be causing this?  I'm using the Amorphous Watsun model.  Interestingly, the annual performance matches what I would expect; just not the monthly breakdown.   This could be a coincidence.  The same building model but with the simple PV model behaves exactly as expected.

Thanks.

Liam