[esp-r] Re: Compilation problems on Sun Fire 4150 with Suse 10.2 OS

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Jul 30 21:36:52 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 13:20 +0200, Diepens, J.F.L. wrote:
> I try to compile ESP-r on a Sun Fire 4150 with Suse 10.2 enterprise OS
> 64 bit but do not succeed.
<snip>
> How can I solve this compilation problem/error?

Good news: I have ESP-r running on my machine which is an opensuse 10.2
x86_64 machine :) Bad news: I don't remember how I installed it :(

But at least you know it's possible!

The file that runs is /opt/esru/esp-r/bin/prj: ELF 32-bit LSB executable
and I don't have gfortran installed, so we can be fairly sure that I've
installed a 32-bit version and it wasn't compiled with gcc 4. I also
can't find any evidence of a make/compile being done on the machine so
most likely I just ran the precompiled installer
esp-r_v11.4_linux_precomp.run, which is on my machine. So I suggest you
just try running that, rather than compiling it yourself.

If you do try to compile it yourself I expect you already know that the
Suse 32/64 bit system is very well sorted out, unlike some other
distros, so it should work well. Obviously if you try to build a 64 bit
executable you'll need to link to the 64 bit versions of the libraries,
so the make script will need to look in /usr/X11R6/lib64 for example,
rather than in /usr/X11R6/lib. But that's fairly conventional now.

I'm sorry I can't give more specific details but I haven't used ESP-r
much since I installed it. I did write a proper GUI editor for the
materials and construction data files because I hated the built-in one
but I pretty much gave up on ESP-r after failing to get any responses to
my questions on this mailing list. I shelled out for PHPP, which will
probably do as much as I need. I'll come back to ESP-r if I need
anything more.

Cheers, Dave