[esp-r] Re: Sky view factor & External insolation

Sean C Lu chunxiaolu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:42:47 BST 2008

Hi Jon

many thanks for your useful imformation, I have download the newest version
(11.5), and I can see the result list  for the diffuse shading, I think that
is actually  the so call Sky View Facter , coz it is defined by the
proportion of  How much sky ia able to be seen .

as we know, there are generally 2 methods for calculating  the " diffuse
shading", one is numerical methods to integral the segment of sky dome, the
others way is geometric methods (fish-eye concept with ray-tracing way) to
account the amount of spray ray.  I am just wondering  what kinds of method
Esp-r use here ? any documentation/ reference is available to understand the
code of this calculation?

the 2rd question, under the menu of Model Context , what does the Sky View
Factor mean?
is it the global setting as the average SVF for every surface of the
building geometry? or it's juat a empirical setting ? what is the criteria
for set this value?

the last qustion, again, can esp-r calculate the insolation for the external
face of surface?

thank you very much indeed.

Sean