[esp-r] Re: open a casual gain control file problem?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 05:39:56 BST 2008

A question about an error message when reading
the description of a lighting control...(see below)...

This message is reading the line specifying the
composite sensor X Y Z position. The Z (ht) value is
either missing from the line or is not a number according
to the logic that is attempting to read the file.

A hint for those who want to quickly locate the source
of an error message in the code. The message below
gave a clue as to what ESP-r reported.

On linux/mac/solaris
use the grep facility.  In this case I went to the
esruprj folder and issued the following command
  grep -ni 'comp sens ht' *.F
and it returned:
ecasctl.F:206:        CALL EGETWR(OUTSTR,K,cz,0.,0.,'-','comp sens ht',IER)

I then opened up that source file in a text editor and
looked at the code. The warning message would probably
be better if it was more verbose. It is not all that
clear that comp sense is short for composite sensor
and that ht is the height of the sensor.

To write a paragraph for each variable in each line of
each file that is scanned would take rather a large
resource. If anyone has some funds they would like
to contribute to allow some staff time for such efforts
please let us know... ;-)

Regards, Jon Hand