[esp-r] Re: Mean Radiant Temperature

Geissler Achim Achim.Geissler at josef-gartner.ch
Tue May 20 08:22:39 BST 2008

Dear Francesco,

> We want to assess the impact on the operative temperature in an office
> if we use an internal blind with a low-emissivity coating (0,5
> emissivity for indoor-facing surface) instead of 0.9 emissivity.
> We made two different simulation: static (with WIS program) and
> Dynamic (ESP-r).

> The results from WIS and from ESP-R for the blind surface temperature
> are consistent (blind temperature about 5K higher for the
> low-emissivity blind).
That is good news.

> However, the mean radiant temperature at a
> position close to the blind (0.5 m in ESP-R) is lower for the
> high-emissivity blind than the low-emissivity blind with the ESP-R
> calculation.

As the mean radiant temperature is defined by view factors and surface temperature, only, all is well, no? The low-e blind has a higher temperature, thus I would expect the mean radiant temperature close to the blind to be higher. That is what you seem to have obtained as result?

Best regards,