[esp-r] anyone have opinions about representing active and passive chilled beams in esp-r?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon May 19 04:34:39 BST 2008

I have a project that will start soon in which the design team
want to try some active and passive chilled beams and possibly
chilled ceilings in the design.

Given the general nature of ESP-r there are likely several
different approaches to including such ideas into an ESP-r
model. Some will be abstract and some might involve
system components.  I would like to know if any in the
community have advise or tips or ideas or horror stories about this.

There is, I know, the logical bottleneck that a chilled panel needs
to be controlled both to deliver cooling but also to limit
condensation risk and that would require sensing two things.

There is, for me an experiential gap in that I am not sure
how well piping embedded in a construction (if that was the
approach taken) actually does the heat exchange between
the fluid and the construction.

I can imagine a hybrid representation of a chilled ceiling
as a thin zone with cooling inside - and that has the
issue with the need to control for temperature and condensation.

Anyone want to join in the discussion or contribute a
small model that demonstrates an approach?

Regards, Jon Hand