[esp-r] AIM-2 ACH question

Lukas Swan (Dal) lswan at dal.ca
Wed Apr 23 21:56:44 BST 2008

Hello

I am working with the *.aim file variables and have found an unexpected
impact.

Using all the same values and only modifying the ACH50 results in the
opposite response I would expect.

Particularly- when I raise the ACH50 the annual zone (I only have 1 in the
model) infiltration air load energy drops.

As I raise the ACH50 further, it continues to decrease.

Three test cases:

ACH50   Annual Air Load(kWh)

1.5          -6557

3.5          -1754

5              -1045

Thoughts on why an increase in air changes per hour causes decreased energy
consumption?

Lukas Swan

Nova Scotia

Canada

#

# AIM-2 input file for CCHT house from HOT2000 inputs

#

#---Leakage
description-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------

#1  1.50  10  1  523       # blower door input; 1.5 ac/h @50Pa; ELA dP=10Pa;
1=ELA not given; ELA=523.7 cm^2.

#1  3.50  10  1  523

1 5 10 1 523

#                           # Set first number to 6 (and no other data) for
energy tight house

#---Leakage
distribution----------------------------------------------------------------
--------

1  0.20  0.65  0.15         # Use default leakage distribution.

#                           # Set `1  0.1 0.6 0.2' for user input leakage
distribution.

#---Shielding and terrain
data------------------------------------------------------------------

3 7 4 2 10.0                # See subroutine
/users/ian/src/esp-r/esrubld/aim2.F/AIM2_READIN

#---Height of building eaves
(m)----------------------------------------------------------------

2.7

#---Flue diameters
(mm)------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

0  0. 0. 0. 0. # furnace, fire#1, fire#2, dhw#1, dhw#2.

#---Zone

1                  # Zone whose temperature used to calculate density of
indoor air.

1 1                # Total number of zones receiving infil; indices of zones
receive infil.

0                  # Index of basement zone (=0 if no basement).