[esp-r] Re: libX11.so.4.10, libF77.so.1.1, libc.so.1.6 for a historical package

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 07:29:43 BST 2008

A recent question about two historic ESRU packages...

Subject: [esp-r]  libX11.so.4.10, libF77.so.1.1, libc.so.1.6

Hello,
I would like to see how the two tar.gz file (EKS & IIBDS) in the ESP-r
download-file page work. I have managed to tar extract them, but I do not
now how to proceed.

In both README file there is  written :

*The following shared libraries are required for run-time
linking:

        -lX11.4 => /usr/lib/X11/libX11.so.4.10
        -lF77.1 => /usr/lang/libF77.so.1.1
        -lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.6

Define the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable for other
locations of these libraries.*

I did not manage to find these file, so I was wondering if it could be
possible to continue, or if there is another way to proceed...
Besides, I am new to linux, so, if there are some other suggestions, it
could be really useful to me...

-------------------------------

It might not have been clear on the download page. These
two packages are somewhat old (X11 revision 4 goes back a
number of years). I would guess that the documentation was
written with the assumption that these packages were being
used on a Sun Solaris workstation.

And, it might be that a re-compile will link correctly with
current versions of the X11 libraries. And the Solaris F77
is likely to be very similar to the g77 version 3.4 which
is available on Linux (but you might have to look in
the legacy packages to find it).

The ESRU web page will have some papers which discuss
the EKS (energy kernel system). Professor Joe Clarke
might also suggest some historical information about
the EKS project.

It was ahead of its time (at that time) and suffered
from slow computers with limited memory of the day.

Today it would probably be amazingly fast. It is unknown
how much work would be required to get these packages running
with current compilers and operating systems.

Regards, Jon Hand