[esp-r] Re: MODELLING PASSIVE COOLING SYSTEMS WITH ESP_r

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 00:35:22 GMT 2008

A recent question about passive solar models in ESP-r...

:: I am very new to ESP-r, and carrying out a research on Passive Cooling Systems. It has taken me sometime to decide on which software will be of help. I have the cookbook and the accompaning exercises which I am doing very well in going through.

::  I wish to have a foreknowledge from the very experienced ones, how applicable can ESP-r be to modelling Passive Cooling Systems such as evaporative cooling, radiative cooling, thermal mass, and ground (earth)cooling in the tropical conditions of Ghana.

------

ESP-r treats radiation heat transfer between surfaces within a zone explicitly. The specific design of radiant cooling system will be necessary to advise which approach to take.

Thermal mass is treated explicitly in ESP-r. There are existing models with up to
1m of mass (typically such constructions are created using several layers).

There is an example model with shows how to do earth cooling.

Evaporative cooling - very few evaporative designs can be represented in ESP-r.