[esp-r] Re: basic airflow question

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 16:54:44 GMT 2008

The zone operation file has always had a limitation that it only
accepts one other source zone for ventilation between zones.  Where
users have more than one source zone requires upgrading your
model to use an air flow network.  In an air flow network there
are two general approaches to mixing between zones:

a) use a bi-directional flow component so that mixing takes
    into account both the temperature difference between the
    rooms as well as pressure differences

b) use a volume flow component to for X volume of air from
    node Y to node Z and a volume flow component to force
    X volume from Z to Y.

In zone operations to represent air mixing between two zones
you must include the scheduled ventilation information in both
of the zones. ESP-r does not do this automatically.

Regards, Jon Hand