[esp-r] Re: Swimming Pool

Oliver Bucks oliver.bucks at club-internet.fr
Thu Sep 27 09:32:08 BST 2007

Dear Hugo,

I have 'dived' back into swimming pool modeling. The introduction of evaporative surfaces into a model is done in the following manner. If any other users have additional information, I would be very happy to hear it.......

1) Once the model is up and running (simulated without an evaporative surface and without warning errors) open the "active materials" menu.
Browse/edit/simulate -> Composition -> active materials.

Create a special component file.
-> Add/delete item
->accept the special materials database filename provided (/usr/esru/esp-r/databases/mscomp.db1)
-> click on "phase change materials" - (nb. I have version 10.12 and nothing exists under the "evaporative surfaces menu) and here you can select "evaporating surfaces"
-> select "evaporative_surf"
-> give it a name
-> enter the calculation mode ( up till now, I generally accept the default value (1). I have not seen any differences in zone resultant temperatures when entering 2 (or 3) as the calculation mode.I have tried to understand the code, but cannot find out what the different calculation modes are)
-> Select zone, surface, surface layer and node which will become evaporative (higher node number = closer to the 'inside' face).

I have had many, many horrible results :
- no temperatures,
- temperatures below absolute 0 (a calculated, steady -2.1 billion °C ),
- temparatues above 330°C and below -15°C either side of a shared evaporative surface,
- simulations not starting - warning messages :

"MZVAPC : for zone.....the computed relative humidity of........has been reset to zero"

"Psat01 :  Small saturation vapour pressure"

- simulation starting but cutting out halfway through a week...

The thickness of the layer in which the evaporative surface is implanted seems very important. The surface has to be implanted on an exterior surface (obviously), either 'inside' face or 'other' face.

You can also change the convection coefficient of your surface
Browse/edit/simulate -> composition -> convection calculations.

You may either choose to allocate a certain calculation type per interior surface or to force the convection coefficient on a surface. I have previously used values from "Energy Simulation in Building Design", J. A. Clarke 2nd edition, table 7.20, pg 261.

Wishing you luck, and hoping that other users have more experience than myself,

Olli Bucks

ps. a note in the code does point out that the evaporative surface module is not perfect, and has only been "roughly verified".