[esp-r] Re: climate data

Jake Zwart jake.zwart at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 7 02:16:38 BST 2007

A couple of years ago I imported a climate file.  It took a fair bit of
trial and error to make it work at that time.  This is the procedure I
followed.

Importing Climate files
Because of the close association between ESRU and NRCan, there are quite a
few Canadian climate files now.  Check first for something appropriate.  To
import your own follow the procedure below.

First look in the ESPR_FAQ.pdf file for directions.  It seems that it may be
better than what I wrote up.  Otherwise try the procedure below.

  1.. Climate files can be either comma delimited or space delimited.  The
program does not care.
  2.. In principle the import can occur in the project manager or in the
climate Analysis module.  I could only get the Climate Analysis Module to
work.  The following are the steps to use:
    1.. go to root menu of Project Manager
    2.. b database maintenance
    3.. a climate
    4.. c make a new database (and type in a name) (note that Cygwin does
not seem to use the same directory read/write privileges as the
documentation claims Unix does, you may be able to write to the directory
where the rest of the climate files are.  This may be because I use admin
privileges from the user I start Cygwin from.)
    5.. answer yes to browse or edit this data and the climate module will
come up
    6.. open the default filename and it will be zeros
    7.. k import from text file
    8.. ASCII esp-r file
    9.. no (allow the data file to define the period which will probably be
different)
    10.. y whole year (I don’t know if this is required but it worked for
me)
    11.. – Exit
    12.. type in the ASCII filename and directory.  The program may default
to your home or cfg directory, I just typed in the location from the root
directory to be sure.
    13.. yes (to update site info)
    14.. yes (inspection of the file showed there was a comment line between
each day)
    15.. graph the data and in general take a look at it to make sure it
looks reasonable
  3.. Note that the database just created does not come up in the list of
standard databases, so you will have to remember the name and location.  (or
use operating system tools to find it such as find / -print | grep filename.
  4.. There can be variations on this theme, but it took me a fair bit of
work to figure this one out.
Jake Zwart