[esp-r] Re: esp-r and thermal lag

Geissler Achim Achim.Geissler at josef-gartner.ch
Fri Jun 1 07:28:53 BST 2007

Hi Pat,

as far as I know, the combination of 1 and 2 you state is the only current possibility: You create the individual layer properties in an insulating glazing unit in Win5 or WIS - that is absorption, reflection and transmittance. Then you use these individual layer properties to build an advanced optical database entry for optical properties. The materials in the constructions database are for thermal properties only. In other words, ESP-r needs both databases for the full description of a TMC. The optical entry is linked to the thermal entry.

The argon or whatever is simply entered by setting the cavity resistance (in the constructions data base) to the according value (the value that leads to your desired U-value).

The other question you had in regard to stud walls: The simple approach is to enter the construction without the studs with a U-value that reflects the actual mean U-value including the studs. The next detailing step is to split the wall in appropriate fractions and enter the constructions accordingly (X % unstudded wall with the uncorrected-for-studs U-value and Y% Stud-region). The most detailed method would be to use the "3d-capability" of ESP-r (however, that is one of the more obscure capabilities and I have no idea if it still works. Some versions ago I did succeed in getting an example that uses that feature to run, though ... see thesis by Abdullatif E. Nakhi)

Best regards

Achim Geissler