[esp-r] Re: Proposed development of window shading models

Geissler Achim Achim.Geissler at josef-gartner.ch
Tue Mar 20 07:40:16 GMT 2007

Hi Bart,
what you describe in the slides sounds very good from what I understand! Most glazing-related topics we are confronted with seem to be included. In addition to Gunters comments on azimuth angle (which I had understood you mean by "profile angle") some further thoughts / questions (maybe they are covered, some descriptions were too short, for me):
- Lumping the Blind: Input data would still be slat properties and geometry? ESP-r would internally calculate the "lumped properties" on a time-step basis (provided somebody involves control for such blinds - angle, percentage of lowering etc.)?
- Could lumping an internal (or façade gap zone) blind allow this blind to "hang" freely in a CFD-Zone (e.g. for "extract mechanical" type of façade)?
- Is the current limitation of beam radiation tracking through one TMC only generally being addressed by your work? That would surely be a huge benefit to the program as a whole (offices with windows to atria etc.). Or is such a setup you describe a new kind of TMC - i.e. one surface for ESP-r?
- Are blinds in a ventilated gap (buoyant and / or forced, connected to an air flow model) possible?
- Would vertical Venetian blinds be possible?
- Are you using spectral data? Or a reduced "overall" set for solar and visible light, each?
- What you mention on "available output" e.g. U-value and SHGC is very important IMO if one enters the individual layers of a system. This would enable checking against Window 6.0 or WIS for model quality control! Such output should also include visible light transmission (and maybe more), IMO.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from your progress! And all this feedback you are getting shows - I think - that you have really hit the place to be in regard to thermal façade modelling!!
Best regards,
Achim

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best regards

Dr.-Ing. Achim Geissler