[esp-r] Re: Proposed development of window shading models

Pueltz, Gunter Gunter.Pueltz at MuellerBBM.de
Tue Mar 20 07:29:35 GMT 2007

Bart,

a short info concerning transmission and absorption of each layer of a tmc:

The European software "Advanced Window Information System (WIS)",
Version 3.0.1, des Window Energy Data Network (WinDat), coordinated
by TNO Building and Construction Research (TNO Bouw), Department:
Sustainable Energy and Buildings (DEG), The Netherlands (details
see http://windat.ucd.ie/wis/html/index.html)

is able to calculate both the overall transmission as well as the absorption
in each layer of a facade WITH venetian blinds as a function of sun altitude
angle (this is the "profile angle" you suggested). The WIS software is
similar
to the WINDOW-software from LBNL, but also treats venetian blinds.
Therefore you should use the software WIS for the enhanced window model in
ESP-r ...
An interface between WIS and ESP-r would be a great help for ESP-users !!

But also WIS shows a crued defect: It is NOT able to take the azimuth angle
of
the sun into account. A recent work from Mr. Kuhn, Fraunhofer-Institute of
solar
energy systems in Freiburg, Germany, has shown, that this defect may yield -
at critical
sun angles - to an underestimation of solar heat gain of appr. 100% !!!!!!!
Therefore it would be the best - for my opinion -, if the new enhanced
facade model
(glazing AND blinds) takes into account ALL relevant angles:
- the slope angle of the blinds
- the sun heigt angle (or the profile angle)
- the sun azimuth angle
Concerning this topic, Mr. Kuhn has developed a new, enhanced algorithm (I
assume
based on raytracing), which considers all these angles. Please see

1) Tilmann E Kuhn, Solar Control: A general evaluation method for facades
with venetian blinds or other solar control systems, Energy and
Buildings, 38 (2006), 648-660.

2) Tilmann E Kuhn, Solar Control: Comparison of two new systems with the
state-of-the-art on the basis of a new general evaluation method for
facades with venetian blinds or other solar control systems, Energy and
Buildings, 38 (2006), 661-672.

You can also find more information about this new algorithm at the
IBPSA-Germany
website at http://129.187.44.165/konferenz/paper/2006/108.pdf

I propose that you contact Mr. Kuhn directly, because he has already told
his
willingness to support or even participate the code enhancement of ESP-r.
His contact data are following:

Dipl.-Phys. Tilmann E. Kuhn
Head of Group Solar Facades and Durability Analysis
Dept. Thermal Systems and Buildings
Fraunhofer Institut für Solare Energiesysteme ISE
Heidenhofstr. 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 761/ 4588-5297  Fax: +49 (0)761/ 4588-9297
tilmann.kuhn at ise.fraunhofer.de
http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de

As a stupid ESP user I would appreciate it greatly if all experts for facade
modelling
cooperate for the enhancement of facade modelling in ESP-r  ....

Regards,
Gunter

--
Dr. Gunter Pültz

Müller-BBM GmbH
Robert-Koch-Straße 11
82152 Planegg
Telefon +49(89)85602-336
Telefax +49(89)85602-111
http://www.MuellerBBM.de

HRB München 86143
Geschäftsführer: Bernd Grözinger, Dr. Edwin Schorer, Norbert Suritsch